In this episode of GMO Watch Podcast, food labeling expert, Alesia Bock is sharing the importance of the food you eat being organically certified and actionable steps you can take right now to read and understand the different labels and claims that might show up on your products. Some of the talking points Alesia Bock and I go over in this episode include:
- What does it mean to be organically certified and why it is important to obtain this certification as a business.
- The process of a company becoming organically certified and the upkeep of this certification over time. ‘
- Breaking down the difference between organically certified, being labeled as “made with organic ingredients,” as well as what it means to be a transitional certified product.
- Hurdles that farmers face during the process of becoming certified and why many choose not to do it.
- The three types of agencies that manage food labels.
- Reading other labels and claims on product labels and what they really mean.
Food is such a personal thing for each and every one of us. As consumers, we have the most direct power with what we spend our money on. So if we want to see change on labeling, clarification or certification, we just need to reach out. Be sure to tune in to all the episodes to receive tons of practical tips on food labeling and to hear even more about the points outlined above.
Thank you for listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, take a screenshot of the episode to post in your stories and tag me! And don’t forget to subscribe, rate, and review the podcast and tell me your key takeaways!
CONNECT WITH EMILY JOURNEY:
CONNECT WITH ALESIA BOCK: